The Bioethics Program’s curriculum is designed around six key components:
- A one-week, onsite introductory proseminar that introduces students to a broad range of topics in bioethics;
- Online history and theory courses that cover the basics of biomedical ethics, clinical ethics, research ethics, bioethics and healthcare policy, and law;
- Elective courses that allow students to pursue areas of interest beyond the core concepts in bioethics;
- Competency-based online and onsite practica which give students hands-on experience in the analytical, communication, mediation, organizational, political and moral reasoning skills required of working bioethicists;
- Personalized master’s projects in which students work one-on-one with a faculty supervisor to explore a bioethical topic of interest in greater depth; and
- An onsite Capstone assessment in which faculty evaluate student mastery of the knowledge and skills learned.
In addition to these six components, students are also offered individualized mentoring by faculty and alumni throughout the enrollment in the program. Optional onsite residency or internship opportunities in clinical ethics, research ethics and bioethics policy are also available for students who want additional hands-on experience and training.
For the Master’s in Bioethics degree program, students complete 12 required courses. Of those, nine are taught online by internationally recognized experts in bioethics. Online courses are complemented by an onsite proseminar, practicum and capstone; some skills simply cannot be taught online. Certificate students must complete four required courses, of which three are online and one onsite.
Current course offerings include:
View the program catalog for full course descriptions.
- Onsite Proseminar in Health and Human Values
- Biomedical Ethics
- Healthcare Policy
- Bioethics and the Law
- Clinical Ethics
- Research Ethics
- Advanced Research Ethics
- Bioethics Policy
- Medicine and Social Justice
- Public Health Ethics
- Reproductive Ethics
- Pediatric Ethics
- Jewish Bioethics
- Empirical Bioethics
- Survey Research Methods
- Online Practica in Clinical Ethics, Research Ethics or Bioethics Policy
- Onsite Practicum in Clinical Ethics and Research Ethics
- Masters Project
- Onsite Capstone